Okay, so I've got a problem. It's 12:30 a.m., I have to get up in a few hours and start my Monday, and I'm lying here wide awake. I already knew a few hours ago that sleep would be difficult in coming tonight, so I devised a cunning plan. I poured myself a glass of Merlot, set up my laptop on my nightstand, and prepared to go YouTubing until I drifted off. Unfortunately, that "drifting off" part never happened. In retrospect, I think it could have had something to do with my choice of videos. I started off with the duel scene from the Royal Opera House's 2002 Il Trovatore. You know, that one where Jose Cura and Dmitri Hvorostovsky have a full-on sword fight while singing to a packed 4000-seat theater.
Anyway, it quickly went downhill from there. After I spent a good chunk of time clicking through all the related videos, I closed up my laptop and gave sleep another try. Alas, it never came, so I tried to think of something else to do. Then it hit me. I have been really bad about writing here on my new blog. I should write an entry! But what to write about? In my sleep-deprived yet thoroughly exhausted state, my level of creativity isn't exactly very high. So I thought about what's going on in MY little world of opera, aside from midnight YouTube searches. And then it hit me. The next exciting event on my personal schedule of opera-related activities is the highly-anticipated Met HD broadcast of Un Ballo In Maschera on December 8. I've got my tickets, and I'm practically bouncing up and down in anticipation.
Then it occurred to me: I haven't made it to any of the other broadcasts yet this season. I had wanted to go to see Otello last month, and I fully intend to catch Rigoletto in the spring. But in general, I've really been missing out on all the opportunities the Met has been offering us. (I almost didn't get to post this video here because my internet connection got a bit goofy, and I couldn't view anything on YouTube. Fortunately, it worked itself out, so I was able to find this.)
Anyway, there is a fabulous season underway, and theaters all over the state are showing these wonderful performances. Furthermore, Emerging Pictures also offers an Opera In Cinema program with performances from all over the world, but the only thing coming up in the near future is La Cenerentola, and only in Corvallis, in mid-December.
Now, dear readers, I know I haven't said much, but the hour is quickly approaching 2:00, and I suspect that sleep is finally coming on. So now I will wish you a good night and leave you with a promise of more exciting news from the world of opera.

No comments:
Post a Comment