Good morning, dear readers, and welcome to December! I know, there are lots and lots of things to do this month, but I'm going to start this wet weekend by telling you a bit about the baritone that lucky Eugene operagoers will have the opportunity to see later this month. Now, I know what you may be thinking. Perhaps you are thinking, "Oh, no! Not another baritone! Can't this girl write about anything else???" Well, yes, I can, but.... Aside from being partial to that particular vocal range, I have had the opportunity to see and hear Mark Walters in person, and I completely anticipate him being the star of Eugene Opera's production of The Pirates of Penzance, premiering on December 28.
Earlier this year, right around the end of January, I attended the opening night performance of Florida Grand Opera's highly successful production of Rigoletto. I went with my eldest son, who was two days shy of his ninth birthday, and my particularly critical little brother. The evening lived up to, and in many ways surpassed our expectations. My full review can be found at South Florida Opera Scene, but here is a small excerpt concerning Mark Walter's powerful performance, as published on January 29, 2012:
"Baritone Mark Walters sang the part of the hunchback Rigoletto, a man torn by the double life he must lead in order to protect his daughter from the clutches of his hated employer, the womanizing Duke. He delivers a poignant, heart-rending performance that grips the viewer from almost the first note. Never before have I seen a Rigoletto who so effectively demonstrates the depths to which he is forced to stoop in the service of the Duke. His voice is warm, rich, and powerful, easily filling the farthest corners of the hall with his full, intense tones. Tender and loving one moment, bursting with rage the next, Mr. Walters created a powerful image of a man who will go to any lengths for his daughter."
Here is an excerpt of that evening. While the sound quality of the recording is not flawless, it provides a taste of what Mr. Walters is capable of.
Mark Walters has appeared with Florida Grand Opera on several occasions, including a run of La Boheme that is currently in progress, and in 2010 as Escamillo in Carmen.
Mr. Walters has performed more than 50 roles across the United States, and has broken into the European and Asian opera scenes, as well. He has appeared in many of the great Verdi operas, in roles such as Giorgio Germont in La Traviata, Don Carlo di Vargas in La Forza del Destino, Il Conte di Luna in Il Trovatore, and upcoming performances as Renato in Un Ballo in Maschera. He has also sung the roles of Valentin in Gounod's Faust, the title role in Don Giovanni, and Enrico in Lucia di Lammermoor, among others. Here he is singing Il Balen in a 2010 performance of Il Trovatore.
Eugene is very lucky to have the opportunity to see this promising young baritone first-hand. Considering his excellent handling of heavier roles, I can only imagine the power he will bring to the part of the Pirate King. No opera lover in Lane County should miss this production. I know I will be there on opening night, kids in tow, to see this exciting performance and this talented artist.
And now, I really must start my day. So until next time, goodbye, and keep blaring that opera for all your neighbors to hear!

No comments:
Post a Comment